HKFWS is always committed to promoting “Ageing in Place” and release new service initiatives. To support the elderly and their family members to live in a familiar place, our professional team shares some useful information and suggestions here to address the elders’ physical and psychological needs.

Elderly Care

I need to take care of my mother with dementia, my family and I have a full-time job. I am physically and mentally exhausted. Recently, I suspect that I am suffering from anxiety and cannot fall asleep often. I worry about my health. As the only caregiver of my mother, how can I maintain my health?

Taking care of the elderly with dementia is a long journey. It will create mental and physical issues, including fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, depression, etc. It is recommended that you take the initiative to share with your family, friends or professionals (e.g. social workers) your problems. Also, finding family or community resources to reduce the burden and giving yourself private moment as appropriate. If you suspect that you are suffering from anxiety, you can pay attention to your physical or mental symptoms whether your daily life and work will be affected. Then, seeking help from the professionals. In addition, the Kowloon City Centre for Active Ageing provides carers support service. It includes education programmes and mutual support group activities. These can relieve your pressure, enhance your capacity for caring work and enhance your physical and mental health in the long term. For carers who are not living in To Kwa Wan, you can visit the Neighbourhood Elderly Centre or District Elderly Community Centre in your district. The contact information and addresses of the centres can be found on the Social Welfare Department website.

Source: Ms. Lam, Elderly Services Social Worker, Hong Kong Family Welfare Society