HKFWS is always committed to promoting “Ageing in Place” and release new service initiatives. To support the elderly and their family members to live in a familiar place, our professional team shares some useful information and suggestions here to address the elders’ physical and psychological needs.

Health Care

I love sports, but as I grow older I often suffer from knee pain. Is there any way to help me?

Generally speaking, knee pain is the common symptom of “Osteoarthritis of Knee” in the elderly. The elderly should consult registered medical practitioners. Common treatment includes medication (such as pain killers, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, etc.). The registered medical practitioners would also refer the patients to physiotherapists if necessary. Common physiotherapy treatments include pain relief, joint mobilisation, muscle strengthening exercise, caregiver education and so forth according to physiotherapy assessment.

Below is the relevant information for reference:


Source: Mr. NG, Physiotherapist I (Elderly Service), Hong Kong Family Welfare Society