Multi-generational Family

My mother-in-law who lives with me always scolds my three-year-old son for being noisy. I am worried that this behavior may affect him. Yet, my husband told me to bear with it. What should I do?

You can consider arranging a full-time school for your son, or take your son outside after school or lunch break to relax, such as playground or library. You can try to give your mother-in-law and yourself a little more space.

There are many facilities in the community that can provide you with assistance such as mutual help child care centres and community babysitters.
Of course, you can also go to the integrated family service centre in the district to talk to a social worker, or participate in our multi-generational family education and support programme to learn the skills of getting along with mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. You can also try to talk to your husband based on your child’s needs. For example: “It’s normal for a child to play and be noisy, but your mother-in-law often complains that he is too noisy. To let the child grow up healthily, it’s better to talk to your mother-in-law. For example, the child can play at home at a specific time each day, or he/she can only be noisy for 30 minutes at a time, etc." To make the husband understand that it is natural for the child to be noisy, and let him communicate with your mother-in-law.

Source: Ms. Lok, Social Work Consultant, Hong Kong Family Welfare Society